At Bellingham Primary we deliver a high quality Physical education curriculum that seeks to inspire all pupils to succeed and excel in all competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. Pupils have the opportunities to become physically confident in a way that supports health, wellbeing and fitness. Opportunities are given for all pupils to compete in sport and other physical activities that build character, self confidence and embed such values as fairness and respect.
Key Stage 1
Pupils develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They are be able to engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
Pupils will be taught to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
Key stage 2
Pupils continue to apply and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports and learn how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils are taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
All pupils have the opportunities to develop confidence and proficiency in the water . They will also be taught a range of strokes and water safety. We visit Wentorth Leisure Centre every week on a rota basis giving all children the opportunity to swim during the school year.
All pupils have the opportunity to compete both in intra and inter competitions. A regular programme of competitions takes place including Cross Country, Tag Rugby, Football,Gymnastics, Cricket,Athletics, Multi skills,Tennis as well as personal best competitions.